Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mama's coffee FREE corner

So I have started some new healthy habits, I did a light detox and started to run. It has been almost two weeks since and I feel so good!

Coffee addiction
You see, I was tired of being dependent on the coffee and feel tired and risk getting a terrible headache if I did not have my morning coffee. And I drank 2-3 big cups of black coffee in the morning and about the same amount in the afternoon. But I didn't feel good, I started to feel that I only felt tired and that I actually got a headache after I drank the coffee. And I have never liked the idea of being dependent on anything so I thought it was time to break these habits. As much as I like coffee...

And I have had this desire to take up running again, for years I've wanted to do that. When I got pregnant with Choriço I worked at a gym and worked out four times a week. I had just decided that I would invest in my training and then what happened... well I got pregnant and I stopped training. I regret it so much, I had wonderful personal trainers available who made programs especially for me but I didn't keep it up. Now if I get pregnant again that will not happen!

I had to have a c-section with Choriço as he didn't want to turn his head down so exercising after he was born wasn't really an option. And when we moved here I didn't know my way around and my husband didn't really like the idea of me running around by myself.

Well not that has changed, Choriço is no longer a baby, I have recuperated from his birth and I know my way around. But then there was this lazy feeling hanging all over me, I had become too addicted to sweets and coffee and laziness was dragging me down.

Treat your body like a temple

Something I often think about is that we should treat our bodies as a temple. And we have to nourish and take care of it the right way or its walls will fall down.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Thinking of this has really helped to to step up and take care of myself. So what did I do?

Well I took a few days detox with only a small amount of coffee in the morning, no coffee in the afternoon and I only ate fresh and raw fruits and vegetables. Two days into this I started running so I increased the amount of food I ate and have since had only a little carbohydrates inform of rice or potatoes and not every meal. No bread, no pasta and especially nothing fried.

I have lost almost all taste for sweets and haven't had any cravings for it. I don't think I've lost much weight but my trousers are slightly more comfortable than they were before and I feel so much better. I even set my alarm to et up at 6,40 on Saturdays to go out for a run. I know this is a long term project so the weight will come off eventually.

I have never been a believer of diets really, I believe in sound advice and good eating habits and I like food to much to starve myself. And I wanted to change for good, not only for a few days!

Quitting the coffee: I thought this was going to be really hard. As I have constantly reduced the amount of coffee everyday to only a few zips it didn't turn out to be as hard as I thought. That I only had a coffee that tastes horrible as well did of course help me. I haven't felt any cravings for coffee either which is great. And I don't want it back so I am staying away from this dark drink. :)

So now, should I change the name to Mama's Coffee Free Corner? *lol*

0 Coffee´s on the table, please have some coffee