Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Love and Logic experiment

One of the absolutely best books I have read in my life, and I have read many, is not a fiction book but a book about how to raise a happy child.

My friend lent me the book " Love and Logic Magic- Practical Parenting from birth to six years" by Jim and Charles Fay. You don't raise a happy child by doing everything it wants but actually the opposite; by setting limits and giving choices. I could probably talk myself warm about this book but instead I refer you to their Love&Logic website. There you can find more information as well as articles.

I read this book during the weekend, I like it so much that I translated it into Portuguese for my husband, no not the whole book but around 10 pages. This is to make sure that he understands it as well and we can work together. He has yet to read it but we are starting it today. I also made a sheet with the basics to put on the fridge as well as a worksheet for us to record how it goes.

I got even more triggered to do this after I spoke to Choriço's caretaker at the nursery.  Reason I asked was because he kept saying he was "put in the corner" for misbehaving but he kept saying he didn't do anything. So this morning I asked her when I left him there. (Note that Choriço was clinging during the conversation holding my leg tightly, something that rarely happens, he didn't say one word-very unusual) She said that he raises his voice all the time and doesn't obey and that is why he is warned and if he doesn't obey he has to sit and watch without participating.

When we finished talking Choriço really held me tight and I asked if he was embarrassed and he said yes. Which I actually take as a good sign. Afterwards I told my husband what she had said and how Choriço had reacted, I think even he understand we need to start putting some limits here at home.

So from today our New life with Practical Parenting and Love and Logic starts. It will be hard, oh I am preparing myself, but I hope it will all be worth it. Or I am sure. i will try and keep you updated as to how it goes.

Do you have any Love and logic parenting experience? Please tell me!

3 Coffee´s on the table, please have some coffee

Laural said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I've heard about it in passing, but now I have a link and some incentive to read the book. Hopefully it's not too late for my 3 and a half year old. We do have rules and limits, but I need to figure out how to approach it so she listens and obeys!

Rachie-Babe said...

Hi! GReat blog! I surfed in through stumble upon and added you to my blog roll.

The Davis Chronicles said...

By the way, I have two small children and I've worked with kids for almost 18 years in various capacities in Children's Ministries, Family Ministries, Youth Ministries, as a nanny, etc. Love and Logic Magic was one of the best books I read for redirecting children happily and easily. I use many of the suggestions with my three year old such as the energy drain, or giving them choices, or pretending I don't hear whining, or I can't hear a tiny voice. I think every caregiver and parent can get something out of that book for how to talk to kids so they will listen.

If you have the portugese - I would really really appreciate it.

cat at seanandcat . com

Thank you,
Catherine